Gluten-Free Indian Pudding
If you make too much, let any extra pudding firm up and fry it in butter for sweet griddle cakes for breakfast the next day.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Unsalted butter or nonstick spray, for baking dish
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup white or yellow gluten-free cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. minced fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Prepare a baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- Heat 2 cups of the milk. Place the cornmeal, sugars, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerroot, and molasses in the top of a double boiler.
- Whisk the hot milk into the mixture, cooking and stirring over simmering water for 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Whisk the remaining cold milk into the hot mixture and pour into the baking dish. Bake for 3 hours. Serve hot or at room temperature with whipped cream.