Gluten-Free Key Lime Bars
This gluten-free version of sweet and tangy citrus, dessert bars is our twist on classic lemon bars; made with the juice of key limes instead of lemons.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups plus 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. tapioca starch
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 7 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. grated key lime zest
- 1 cup key lime juice
- ⅔ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9" × 13" baking pan with parchment paper and grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make the crust: In a medium bowl, combine brown rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low, slowly add the flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Place dough in prepared baking pan and press evenly over the bottom of the pan, building up ½" edge on all sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack; leaving oven on.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, lime zest, lime juice, brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, confectioners’ sugar. Pour evenly over the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool completely and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Remove from pan using parchment paper to lift the bars out to a cutting board. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into 24 bars.