Gluten-Free Lattice-Topped Cherry Pie
Impress your family and friends by making your own pie dough and filling for this gluten-free, lattice-topped cherry pie. You can use fresh or frozen cherries for this recipe.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2½ cups sorghum flour, divided
- 1½ cups arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 cups pitted sweet red cherries
- 1½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. sanding sugar
- For the pie crust: In a large bowl, whisk together 1½ cups sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, salt, and xanthan gum. Using a pastry blender or a knife and fork, cut in shortening throughout the flour until it resembles small peas. Make a well in the center of the flour and add eggs and 2 tablespoon ice-cold water. Mix with a fork until the dough gathers up into a ball. Dived the dough into to 2 equal balls, shape into round disks, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out one disk of dough into a circle (11") on a flat surface liberally dusted with sorghum flour. Transfer to an 8" pie plate. Leave an inch of dough hanging beyond the rim of the pan. Cut off any extra dough, fold the edge under itself, and crimp the edges with your fingers.
- Make the filling: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, cherries, water, and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly for 5–7 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Pour cherry mixture into prepared pie plate.
- Roll out the remaining pie crust onto a flat sorghum-floured surface into a large rectangle at least 10" long. Cut 12–14 long (1" wide) strips of dough. Very carefully place the strips over the pie in a crisscross pattern. When all strips are in place, use a knife or kitchen shears to cut off excess crust around the edge of the pie. Flute edges of crust and sprinkle sanding sugar. Cover the edges of the pie with foil to prevent burning.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes until filling is hot and bubbly and the crust is golden-brown. Move pie to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.