Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This gluten-free version of the classic poppy seed loaf is elegant enough to serve at a special brunch or afternoon tea. But it’s so good you’ll want to eat it any time of day!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" × 5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, granulated sugar, and poppy seeds.
- In a medium bowl, mix together applesauce, vegetable oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, and almond milk. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine. Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for 55–65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and top is golden-brown.
- Cool for 20–30 minutes on a wire rack before slicing. Sift the confectioners’ sugar through a fine-mesh strainer as you dust the top of the bread.