Gluten-Free and Low-Glycemic Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Make this gluten-free version of the classic lemon poppy seed muffin. Great for a special brunch or afternoon tea.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, arrowroot starch, salt, baking soda, coconut palm sugar, grated nutmeg, poppy seeds, and gelatin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon extract, eggs, and almond milk. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined. Scoop batter into paper liners, about 2⁄3 full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden-brown or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack until completely cool.