Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Giving up gluten also means giving up the macaroni and cheese from a box. This homemade version makes a comforting, warm meal or a great cold lunch.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup uncooked gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄4 tsp. gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. crushed gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of water according to package directions. Drain in a colander.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low. Add the cornstarch, salt, pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until smooth.
- Add the milk and cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese melts and the sauce is creamy and smooth.
- Stir the macaroni into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the casserole is heated through and lightly browned. Let the casserole dish sit for about 5–10 minutes before serving so the cheesy, creamy sauce has a chance to thicken.