Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese with Crumb Topping
This recipe features a blend of creamy cheeses and a sprinkle of garden-fresh chives—resulting in an elegant version of a kid-friendly classic.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 oz. gluten-free elbow macaroni, cooked
- 2 slices gluten-free bread, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup gluten-free sweet rice flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2cups cubed Brie cheese, rind removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed Camembert cheese, rind removed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 6 ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add toast, Parmesan, 1 tablespoon oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, and 1 tablespoon butter and pulse to form small crumbs. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add remaining butter and oil and heat until sizzling. Add flour and whisk constantly for 1 to 2 minutes until thickened and light golden brown. Whisk in milk, 1⁄4 cup at a time, until thickened and bubbling. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for about 8–10 minutes, until thickened. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Fold in Brie and Camembert and stir until fully melted. Add the cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared ramekins. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake 20 minutes until sauce begins to bubble and top is evenly browned.
- Top with chives and serve immediately.