Gluten-Free Maple Pecan Pie
This pecan pie is sweetened with maple syrup and coconut palm sugar and thickened without eggs. It needs to be refrigerated at least 8 hours to set after baking, so make the pie at least 1 day ahead of serving.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 10 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄3 cup almond milk
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Spectrum Organic Shortening, melted
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 1 unbaked vegan, gluten-free pastry shell
- For the pie: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk and cornstarch for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is foamy. Add the coconut palm sugar, maple syrup, sea salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, melted shortening, vanilla, and pecans. Stir until the mixture is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into vegan pastry shell. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until the filling is bubbling along the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.