Gluten-Free Maple Pecan Pie
This pecan pie is sweetened with maple syrup and coconut palm sugar and thickened without eggs. It needs to be refrigerated at least 8 hours to set after baking, so make the pie at least 1 day ahead of serving.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 10 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Spectrum Organic Shortening, melted
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2½ cups pecan halves
- 1 unbaked vegan, gluten-free pastry shell
- For the pie: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk and cornstarch for 2–3 minutes until the mixture is foamy. Add the coconut palm sugar, maple syrup, sea salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, melted shortening, vanilla, and pecans. Stir until the mixture is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into vegan pastry shell. Bake for 30–45 minutes, until the filling is bubbling along the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.