Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies
The tantalizing aroma of these soft and spicy gluten-free cookies will draw people into the kitchen to see what’s baking. These are great for the winter holidays or any time of year.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup sorghum flour
- 3⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the egg and molasses. Mix until blended, about 1 minute. In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, sorghum flour, arrowroot or tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Roll the chilled dough into 3⁄4-inch balls and place on baking sheet 2-inch apart. Using the bottom of a glass, gently press dough down to make a thick disc. Sprinkle the tops of cookies with the remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.