Gluten-Free Monkey Bread
This sweet, sticky bread is a fabulous dessert, but many people also serve it for breakfast on special occasions.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown rice flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups arrowroot starch
- 1 Tbsp. rapid-rise yeast
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 cup gluten-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Spray a Bundt or tube pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a shallow bowl, stir together 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, yeast, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, xanthan gum, vanilla pudding mix, and baking powder until combined. Set aside.
- Put water and 4 tablespoons butter in a large, microwave-proof glass measuring cup. Microwave on half power for 30 seconds, or until the butter has melted. Remove from microwave and add milk, egg, vinegar, oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Form the dough into 3⁄4-inch balls, roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, and place in the Bundt pan. Do not tightly pack the dough into the pan. Repeat with the remaining dough. If you have any cinnamon-sugar mixture left, sprinkle it over dough in the pan.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the remaining 1⁄2 cup butter. Stir in brown sugar, maple syrup, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and stir until fully combined. Pour caramel sauce over the top of the dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes in a warm, draft-free place.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Let monkey bread sit in the baking pan for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a serving dish or plate. Using oven mitts, place in inverted serving dish or plate on top of the Bundt pan. Quickly turn the plate and baking pan upside down. The monkey bread should release from the pan easily.