Gluten-Free Mushroom, Ham, and Cheese Crepes
This filling is excellent for brunch, lunch, or a light supper. You can vary the herbs.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chestnut flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 3 Tbsp. corn flour
- 2 cups heavy cream, warmed
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 6 sage leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- In a food processor, mix 2 eggs, milk, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt until blended. With the motor on low, slowly add chestnut flour and rice flour, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the container.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Pour in 1⁄2 cup batter. Tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly.
- Cook crepe until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side; place on waxed paper and sprinkle with a bit of rice flour. Repeat with remaining batter
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter and stir in corn flour. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add cream, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in nutmeg, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium sauté pan and sauté mushrooms until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add ham, sage, and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mix in ricotta and remaining egg.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lay out the crepes on a flat surface. Place 1 tablespoon filling on each. Roll up and place in a baking dish. Cover with cream sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is nicely browned. Garnish with parsley and serve hot.