Gluten-Free Orange Cornmeal Cookies
This is an adaptation of a classic Italian cookie. You and your friends will love them. Use your favorite flavor additions, such as currants, dried cranberries, raisins, or dried apple chips.
Makes: 30Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. concentrated orange juice
- Zest of 1⁄2 orange, very finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup coarse or turbinado sugar
- Process the eggs and sugar in a food processor. Slowly add the rest of the ingredients, except the coarse sugar and continue to process, stopping occasionally to scrape the bowl. Don’t overprocess.
- When the dough comes together, remove from the food processor, shape into a log, and roll in the coarse sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a cookie sheet with nonstick spray or parchment paper.
- Slice log into 1⁄4-inch rounds, and place 1⁄2 inch apart on prepared sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.