Gluten-Free Panko-Coconut Fish Sticks
Never buy frozen fish sticks again and always make them fresh and healthy with this recipe! Serve these fish sticks with tartar sauce and sweet potato wedges.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups gluten-free panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp. ground bay leaves
- 1⁄4 tsp. celery salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄8 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄8 tsp. chili powder
- 3 lbs. fresh tilapia fillets, cut into 1- to 2-inch strips
- 2 medium lemons, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Position racks on top and bottom third. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil; set aside.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs with salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk until fluffy. In a third shallow bowl, combine panko, coconut, bay leaves, celery salt, mustard, 1 teaspoon pepper, nutmeg, ginger, paprika, and chili powder.
- Dip tilapia into flour and then egg, tapping off any excess; roll in panko mixture, pressing to adhere on all sides of fish. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until lightly golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets from top to bottom rack halfway through. Serve fish sticks with lemon wedges.