Gluten-Free Pecan Cookies
This versatile cookie can be decorated to match any holiday, with frosting, icing, sprinkles, or decorating sugar. Baking them is a fun activity for the little ones who want to help in the kitchen!
Makes: 30 cookiesHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 30 cookies
- ⅔ cup vegan margarine, softened
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg, prepared
- 4 tsp. soymilk
- 1⅓ cups sorghum flour
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup soy flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup ground pecans
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine, ¾ cup sugar, and vanilla extract with a pastry cutter or a large fork until fluffy. Stir in egg replacement and soymilk until well mixed. In a separate bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, cornstarch, soy flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients until blended. Stir in pecans. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour. Place dough between 2 sheets of wax paper or parchment and roll out to ¼" thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut into 2" rounds, or other desired shapes. Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet 1" apart. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture over cookies.
- Bake for 7–9 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.