Gluten-Free Pecan Cookies
This versatile cookie can be decorated to match any holiday, with frosting, icing, sprinkles, or decorating sugar. Baking them is a fun activity for the little ones who want to help in the kitchen!
Makes: 30Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2⁄3 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg, prepared
- 4 tsp. soy milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups sorghum flour
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup ground pecans
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine, 3⁄4 cup sugar, and vanilla extract with a pastry cutter or a large fork until fluffy. Stir in egg replacement and soy milk until well mixed. In a separate bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, cornstarch, soy flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients until blended. Stir in pecans. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour. Place dough between 2 sheets of wax paper or parchment and roll out to 1⁄4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut into 2-inch rounds or other desired shapes. Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet 1 inch apart. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture over cookies.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.