Gluten-Free Pie Crust
This recipe makes a basic, gluten-free pastry crust that is also vegan. Now you can have your pie and eat it too!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum flour
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, optional
- 8 Tbsp. vegan margarine, cold and cut into pieces
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Egg replacement equal to 1 egg, prepared
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- In a large bowl, combine rice flour, potato starch, sorghum flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Cut margarine into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or large fork, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar and egg replacement until blended. Add vinegar mixture to flour and stir until combined.
- Begin adding ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide dough in half. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Gently press each wrapped piece of dough with the palm of your hand to slightly flatten into a disk shape. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and allow to soften enough to roll. Roll dough out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper according to recipe needs.