Popovers are easy to make and can be enjoyed at breakfast, with an afternoon cup of tea, or as a dinner roll. Because there is very little flour in this recipe, you can adjust the gluten-free flours according to what you have on hand. While a popover pan is ideal, you can also use a standard-sized muffin tin.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Set oven to 425°F. Place popover pan or standard muffin tin in the oven while it preheats.
- In a blender, add eggs, milk, and honey. Blend for 10 seconds to combine. Add the flour, arrowroot starch, and salt and blend for another 20 to 30 seconds, just until the flours are fully incorporated into the batter. Do not over blend.
- Carefully remove hot pan from oven and grease each cup with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into the hot muffin cups until they are about 2⁄3 full. Place the pan immediately back into oven and bake for 25 minutes, until puffed and golden-brown. Do not open the oven while baking because the popovers will fall if any cold air is introduced during the baking process.
- Prick each popover with a fork or a knife to release the steam from the inside. Serve immediately.