Gluten-Free Pot Roast
This pot roast needs only a few minutes prep in the morning for a simple, satisfying, mostly hands-off dinner.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 bottom-round beef roast (3 lbs.)
- 4 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 small bluenose turnips, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 can (13 oz.) gluten-free beef broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown the roast on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer roast to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and turnips and sauté until softened, about 5–6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Transfer vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add rosemary, coriander seeds, broth, wine, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in flour during the last 10 minutes.
- To serve, slice the beef across the grain. Serve surrounded by vegetables and topped with gravy.