Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread with Flaxseeds
Make your own gluten-free sandwich bread with this easy and delicious recipe. It is important to let the bread cool completely because it may lose its shape and fall if sliced while still hot.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 3 Tbsp. whole flaxseeds
- 3 Tbsp. gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. milk, heated to 110°F
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Grease a 9" × 5" oven-proof loaf pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, flaxseeds, oats, salt, xanthan gum, yeast, and honey.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and olive oil. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon for several minutes until batter resembles a thick cake batter. First it will look like biscuit dough, but after a few minutes it will become thick and sticky.
- Pour bread dough into prepared loaf pan. Spread the dough evenly in the pan.
- Cover pan with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap spritzed with non-stick spray. Place dough in a warm space to rise for 2 hours until doubled in size, or until the top of the loaf should rise about 1" above the lip of the pan.
- Once the dough has doubled, preheat the oven to 425°F. With a sharp knife, make several diagonal slices across top of dough. Bake for 25–35 minutes. If the bread begins to brown more than desired, place a sheet of foil over the loaf and continue baking. The bread will be done when the internal temperature is between 190–200°F when tested with a food thermometer.
- Allow bread to cool completely on a wire rack for 2 hours before slicing.