Gluten-Free Sausage and Egg Casserole
This hearty casserole is traditionally made with day-old Italian bread, but you can use any gluten-free bread that you have and it will work just fine. It’s a great way to use up bread that is drying out.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 oz. breakfast sausage
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 slices gluten-free bread
- Brown the sausage in a large frying pan over medium heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and stir in the cheese, milk, salt, dry mustard, and pepper.
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and layer half of the bread slices in the bottom. Add half the sausage and onions. Repeat layering, then pour egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, heat oven to 350°F and bring casserole to room temperature. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.