Gluten-Free Sausage and Egg Casserole
This hearty casserole is traditionally made with day-old Italian bread, but you can use any gluten-free bread that you have and it will work just fine. It’s a great way to use up bread that is drying out.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 oz. breakfast sausage
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 slices gluten-free bread
- Brown the sausage in a large frying pan over medium heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5–8 minutes. Drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and stir in the cheese, milk, salt, dry mustard, and pepper.
- Grease a 9" × 13" baking pan and layer half of the bread slices in the bottom. Add half the sausage and onions. Repeat layering, then pour egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, heat oven to 350°F and bring casserole to room temperature. Bake for 45–55 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.