Gluten-Free Snowflake Rolls
Soft, light rolls dusted generously with brown rice flour are perfect for holiday meals or family dinners.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⅓ cup plus 1 Tbsp. brown rice flour, divided
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2½ tsp. instant yeast
- 2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1¼ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup water, heated to 110°F
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, cream of tartar, sugar, yeast, xanthan gum, 1 teaspoon salt, and baking powder. In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, egg whites, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and vinegar. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon or a fork for several minutes until batter resembles a thick cake batter.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop dough into 12 balls and place each ball onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2" apart. Cover the rolls loosely with plastic wrap greased with non-stick cooking spray. Allow the rolls to rise in a warm space for 30 minutes, or until they double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove the plastic wrap. With a fine-mesh strainer, dust rolls with ⅓ cup brown rice flour. Dust rolls with ¼ salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes until rolls are a very light golden-brown.