Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread
This delicious sourdough loaf is quite a bit different than traditional wheat-based sourdough, but provides the same great tangy taste.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 days 5 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup water, heated to 90°F –100°F
- 1 tsp. potato flakes
- 4 1⁄4 tsp. instant yeast, divided
- 7 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup water, heated to 110°F
- In a clean 2-quart glass jar, combine water and potato flakes. Add 2 1⁄4 teaspoon yeast and stir. Add 1 teaspoon sugar and brown rice flour and stir again. Cover jar with a piece of cloth secured with a rubber band or string. Place in a warm area for 2 days, or until mixture is bubbly and has fermented and smells yeasty.
- Spray a 9-by-5-inch oven-proof loaf pan with with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, salt, almond flour, remaining 6 teaspoons sugar, and remaining 2 teaspoons yeast. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, vinegar, olive oil, and water. Stir in 1⁄2 cup starter. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon for several minutes until batter resembles a thick cake batter.
- Pour bread dough into prepared loaf pan. Cover pan with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap spritzed with non-stick spray. Place dough in a warm space to rise for 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove the covering from the loaf and make a slash lengthwise down the middle of the dough. To get a very crispy crust, place a metal pan on the bottom shelf of the oven while it’s preheating. When you put the dough in to cook, add 5 to 6 ice cubes to the metal pan and close the oven door quickly.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Bread will be done when the internal temperature is 190–200°F when tested with a food thermometer. Cool completely on a wire rack for 2 hours before slicing.