Gluten-Free Strawberry-Rhubarb Tart
This gluten-free version of the classic summer tart is made in a tart pan with removable bottom, but you can also use an 8" or 9" pie plate. Just roll out dough into a 12" circle, press it into the pie plate, trim excess dough and crimp the edges. It’s delicious alone or with freshly whipped cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 6 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- ¾ cup arrowroot starch
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups fresh rhubarb, trimmed, stings removed, and sliced thin, crosswise
- 2½ cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- 3 Tbsp. butter, thinly sliced
- For the crust: In a large bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, salt, and xanthan gum. Using a pastry blender or a knife and fork, cut in shortening throughout the flour until it resembles small peas. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the egg and 1 tablespoon ice-cold water. Mix with a fork until the dough gathers up into a ball. Shape dough into a round disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough into a 12" circle onto a flat surface liberally dusted with sorghum flour. Transfer dough to a 9" tart pan with removable bottom. Leave an inch of dough hanging beyond the rim of the pan. Trim excess dough with a knife or kitchen shears.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and water. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5–7 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Pour mixture into the tart shell. Dot with slices of butter.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 25–30 minutes, until the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Cool pie for 30 minutes and then chill for 4 hours before serving. Remove tart pan and transfer tart to a serving platter before serving.