Gluten-Free Strawberry-Rhubarb Tart
This gluten-free version of the classic summer tart is made in a tart pan with removable bottom, but you can also use an 8- or 9-inch pie plate. Just roll out dough into a 12-inch circle, press it into the pie plate, trim excess dough and crimp the edges. It’s delicious alone or with freshly whipped cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 6 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup sorghum flour
- 3⁄4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. ice-cold water
- 2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- 2 1⁄2 sliced strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. cold butter, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, salt, and xanthan gum. Using a pastry blender or a knife and fork, cut in shortening throughout the flour until it resembles small peas. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the egg and 1 tablespoon ice-cold water. Mix with a fork until the dough gathers up into a ball. Shape dough into a round disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough into a 12-inch circle onto a flat surface liberally dusted with sorghum flour. Transfer dough to a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Leave an inch of dough hanging beyond the rim of the pan. Trim excess dough with a knife or kitchen shears.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and remaining 1⁄4 cup water. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Pour mixture into the tart shell. Dot with slices of butter.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Cool pie for 30 minutes and then chill for 4 hours before serving. Remove tart pan and transfer tart to a serving platter before serving.