Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
Strawberries are sweetest when they are local and in season. If you can’t find local seasonal strawberries, look for berries that are a deep red in color and give them a sniff. If they smell like strawberries, they are more likely to be fresh and close to their peak.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp. butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 2 large strawberries, halved
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add the buttermilk and melted butter and whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the strawberries and let the batter sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat or 375°F and lightly coat with coconut oil or butter. Spoon the pancake batter onto the hot griddle, approximately 1⁄4 cup at a time. Cook until they bubble in the middle and look dry around the edges, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned on both sides and cooked through, 2–3 more minutes. Press down gently to make sure the batter cooks thoroughly around the berries.
- Stack 3 or 4 pancakes per plate. Top each stack with a dollop of whipped cream and a strawberry half.