Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
Strawberries are sweetest when they are local and in season. If you can’t find local seasonal strawberries, look for berries that are a deep red in color and give them a sniff. If they smell like strawberries, they are more likely to be fresh and close to their peak.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp. butter, melted
- 1¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 2 large strawberries, halved
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg lightly. Add the buttermilk and melted butter and whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the strawberries and let the batter sit for 10–15 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat or 375°F and lightly coat with coconut oil or butter. Spoon the pancake batter onto the hot griddle, approximately ¼ cup at a time. Cook until they bubble in the middle and look dry around the edges, about 2–3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned on both sides and cooked through, 2–3 more minutes. Press down gently to make sure the batter cooks thoroughly around the berries.
- Stack 3 or 4 pancakes per plate. Top each stack with a dollop of whipped cream and a strawberry half.