Gluten-Free Vegetarian Cottage Pie
Cottage pie is typically made with ground beef. This version uses lots of vegetables and vegetarian sausage.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 lb. gluten-free vegetarian sausage, diced
- 1½ cups gluten-free vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. hot paprika
- ½ tsp. crushed rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. dried savory
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2¾ cups plain mashed potatoes
- In a large nonstick skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, parsnip, celery, and vegetarian sausage until the sausage is browned, about 5–6 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a greased 4–6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the stock, paprika, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, savory, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. In a small cup, mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Stir into sausage mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine parsley and potatoes. Spread on top of the sausage mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are warmed through.