Gluten-Free Yellow Cake
This simple yellow cake may become your go-to recipe for layer, cake, cupcakes, or sheet cake. Decorate with your favorite gluten-free frosting.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 round cake pans (9 inches) with butter, line bottom with parchment paper, and then grease parchment with butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add vanilla and mix well. On low speed, add 1⁄3 of the dry ingredients, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary throughout. Add 1⁄2 cup of milk. Repeat with 1⁄3 of the dry ingredients, the remaining 1⁄2 cup of milk, and the remaining with 1⁄3 of the dry ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly into the cake pans and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top of the cake is golden-brown. Allow cake to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.