Gluten-Free Zucchini “Lasagna” with Meat Sauce
Get your fill of Italian food and more green vegetables at the same time with this super-easy and healthy recipe!
Serves: 5Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups jarred tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 10 oz. ground beef
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (like Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Pour in enough tomato sauce to lightly coat bottom of dish, a little less than 1⁄2 cup. Layer a few zucchini slices side by side in bottom of dish.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, stir, and cook 5 minutes. Add green pepper and oregano. Once meat is no longer pink, stir in tomato paste, remaining tomato sauce, basil, and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer sauce 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon a layer of meat sauce over the zucchini in casserole dish. Add a layer of spinach and then mozzarella. Repeat same process one more time—layer zucchini, meat sauce, spinach, and mozzarella. Finish by topping with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil; increase temperature to 350°F and bake an additional 12 to 15 minutes. Lasagna will be very hot; let stand 5 minutes before serving.