Golden Delicious Apple-Strawberry Crisp
Tailor this to suit your tastes and what’s available—other berries, different nuts, etc.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 “ cubes
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 4 oz. cold unsalted butter, cut into pea-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss the apples with granulated sugar, spices, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons flour. Fill into a 6-by-10-inch baking dish.
- Toast almonds lightly in moderate oven at about 300°F. Cool.
- Using your hands, rub together 1 cup flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter until mixture clumps. Add toasted nuts and cover the fruit evenly with this topping. Bake on bottom shelf of 350-degree oven for 1 hour, until fruit is bubbling and topping is crisp.