Golden Delicious Risotto
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. minced onion
- 1 cup arborio rice (short-grain white rice)
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ¾ tsp. honey mustard
- ¼ tsp. Minor’s Sautéed Vegetable Base
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan, heat 4 cups water to boiling; reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer.
- In a large nonstick sauté pan bring the olive oil to temperature over medium heat; add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the rice and half of the diced apple; sauté, stirring well, for 3 minutes. Add the bases and stir to dissolve. Add the wine and stir until the wine evaporates.
- Stirring, ladle in enough of the water to just cover the rice (about ¾ cup). Lower the heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook the rice, stirring constantly, until almost all of the water has been absorbed, about 4 minutes.
- Continue adding water ½ cup at a time, stirring, and cooking until absorbed. (The simmering water is added in small increments because you only want to use as much as is necessary for the rice to absorb before it’s cooked; humidity and differences in burner temperature can make the difference in the amount of water needed.) After 15 minutes, stir in the remaining diced apples. The rice is done when it is creamy yet firm in the center (al dente). Total cooking time will be around 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in the butter, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.