Gooey Gingerbread Cookies
These gooey cookies are buttery, tender and sweetened just right. They’re a perfect addition to your cookie tray for any winter holiday celebration.
Serves: 24Prep: 20 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (8 oz.) Kroger® Cream Cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup confectioners’ powdered sugar, sifted
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla extract and salt. Mix until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and egg yolk. Beat until creamy.
- On low speed, gradually add in the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Dough will be sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick silicone mat or parchment paper. Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl, then set aside.
- Form dough into generous 1.5” balls, using cookie scoop and roll into the powdered sugar to lightly coat. Place the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet at least 2” apart. Then roll each ball of dough in the powdered sugar once again.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are puffed and crackly. It is important not to overbake, as the center of these cookies should be soft.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes, then carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack. Serve and store leftover cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.