Gotland Saffron Pancake (Saffranspannkaka)
Rice, saffron, and ground almonds are baked into a sweet casserole in this traditional dish from the Swedish island of Gotland. Use Jasmine or Pearl rice. Serve with blackberry or marionberry jam.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sweet, short-grain rice
- 4½ cups milk
- ¼ tsp. saffron threads
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- Set oven to 400°F. Grease 6 individual baking dishes with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In a medium saucepan, mix water, 1 tablespoon of butter, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Pour in rice, stirring constantly. Reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until most of the water has been absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Whisk milk into the rice, increase heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer undisturbed for 30 minutes.
- In a mortar and pestle, muddle the saffron into the sugar and add to the rice. Add the chopped almonds and eggs and stir.
- Place prepared baking dishes on a baking sheet. Pour rice mixture into dishes and place baking sheet with the filled dishes into oven, and cook for 40 minutes. Serve warm.