Gougères de Bourgogne (Cheese Puffs)
Save to My Recipes
These delicious cheese puffs were created in Burgundy. They make a great hors d’oeuvre. They are also a treat at cocktail hour with a nice glass of Champagne!
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutes
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2½ oz. Gruyère cheese (or aged Cheddar), cut in ½" cubes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium saucepan, place the water, salt, and the butter. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir well. When it has reached the boiling point, pour in the flour immediately. Stir very steadily with a wooden spatula. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir again for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth. The dough should dry slightly.
- Take the saucepan off heat and let it cool a little, then pour the beaten eggs over the dough. Stir well, never stopping. Beat it vigorously until the mixture is really smooth, but not too thick.
- Add the cheese cubes and beat well for 2 minutes at least, until the cheese melts in the dough.
- Using a tablespoon, make small balls of dough and put them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the gougères are golden.
- Serve lukewarm.