Gougeres (Cheese Puffs)
Save to My Recipes
Puffs of cheesy pastry (pâtée a choux) make a classic hors d’oeuvre that can be served as is. You can also make these with Cheddar or Parmesan.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups grated Gruyere cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Put the water, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. When butter is melted turn heat to medium and add the flour all at once. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the mixture is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Remove from heat and beat in eggs one at a time, using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer. Stir in 1 cup grated cheese.
- Scoop dough with two spoons onto greased cookie sheet into 1-inch mounds, evenly spacing them about two inches apart. Sprinkle them with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F, then bake 15 minutes more. Serve warm or at room temperature.