Grain-Free Pellet Smoked Cast Iron Pizza
A cast iron pan gives this gluten-free pizza its crisp, golden brown crust.
Serves: 3Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110-115°F), divided
- 3⁄4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth™ Finely Ground Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon ground psyllium husk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄3 cup pizza sauce
- 3 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat a pellet smoker, grill or oven to 450°F.
- Place yeast, sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a large bowl. Allow to stand for 5 minutes or until yeast is foamy.
- Meanwhile, whisk together arrowroot, almond and coconut flours, flax seed, psyllium husk, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients, 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining 7 tablespoons of water and vinegar to yeast mixture. Stir until well-combined and the dough is sticky.
- Let dough rest at room temperature for at least 45 minutes. Dough should look puffy but may not be doubled.
- Meanwhile, add remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to an 8-10” cast iron skillet.
- Transfer the dough to the skillet, using your hands to pat into an even layer in the pan.
- Place skillet on the smoker or grill, or in the oven. Cook 8 minutes or until crust looks set on the top and the bottom is starting to brown.
- Top crust with sauce, cheese and desired toppings. Return to the smoker, grill or oven and cook another 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the edges of the crust are golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Tip: If you don’t have a pellet smoker, you can bake the pizza in an oven set to 450°F or on a grill set to medium to medium-high heat.