Grated Potato Pancakes
Potato pancakes are a quick and easy dish to prepare. Try substituting sweet potatoes or yams for variety. Add coriander, cumin, ginger, and turmeric spices for an injection of flavor and health-promoting properties.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. Idaho potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- Remove any excess water from the potatoes by placing them in cheesecloth or a clean towel and pressing until all the water comes out. This step will create a crispier pancake.
- Heat a cast-iron griddle or skillet over medium-high, add 1⁄2 teaspoon oil and the grated potatoes and press with a spatula for a rounded shape. Season with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper.
- Once the pancake is brown on one side (7 minutes), flip it over and add the remaining oil to make sure both sides brown evenly.
- Season again with remaining salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Serve whole or cut into smaller servings.