Great Fakeout Meatballs
Although meatballs are normally packed with meat, vegetarians should be able to enjoy this classic Italian dish, too. This alternative recipe combines loads of vegetables and healthy grains for dense and scrumptious meatballs that will become a family favorite.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1⁄2 medium eggplant, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1 cup minced mushrooms
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread
- 1 package (14 oz.) firm tofu
- 3 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with olive oil.
- Sauté the zucchini, eggplant, onion, and mushrooms until extremely soft.
- In a food processor, reduce the bread slices to breadcrumbs. Add the tofu, sautéed vegetables, and seasonings to the bread and process until well-blended. Form the mixture into balls and line up evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until completely cooked through.