Make the béchamel only when you need it, as it quickly starts to congeal once it is prepared and cannot be stored for later use.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups scalded milk
- ¾ cup grated Kefalotyri cheese
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 egg yolks, well beaten
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan over medium heat.
- Using a whisk or immersion blender with a whisk attachment, slowly incorporate flour by briskly whisking; add to melted butter in stages while stirring continually to avoid formation of lumps.
- Once flour is fully incorporated, slowly add hot milk while continuing to constantly stir butter and flour paste to ensure smooth consistency.
- Remove saucepan from heat; add grated cheese, nutmeg, pepper, and egg yolks in that order while continuing to rapidly whisk mixture until smooth.