Greek Garlic and Potato Dip
This dip is also known as scorthalia. It’s an excellent accompaniment for vegetable and fish dishes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. dried Greek oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Cut potatoes into eighths and add to boiling water. Boil potatoes until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Using a potato masher or large fork, thoroughly mash potatoes. Add garlic, ⅓ cup olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper; resume mashing and stirring to incorporate all ingredients.
- Ensure there are no lumps of potato remaining. When uniform and creamy, set aside to cool. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and serve at room temperature.