Greek Lemon-Chicken Soup
Fresh lemon juice and egg yolks give the traditional Greek soup, avgolemono, its lovely yellow color and smooth, tangy flavor.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup cooked white rice
- ½ cup diced, cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 slices lemon
- In a greased 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, carrots, onion, celery, oregano, and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Blend the butter and the flour together in a medium bowl with a fork. Remove 1 cup of hot broth from the slow cooker and whisk with the butter and flour. Add mixture back to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until light in color. Gradually add 1 cup of the hot soup to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the rice and cooked chicken. Cook on low for an additional hour. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with lemon slices.