Greek Meat and Vegetable Pie
Serve this casserole with a cucumber-yogurt salad.
Serves: 13Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 scallions, diced
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. baby spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked broccoli florets
- 8 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh chives
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 package (16 oz.) phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the onions, scallions, and oil to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir, cover, and then microwave for 2 minutes, or until transparent. Add the spinach, broccoli, onions, cheese, eggs, chicken, chives, dill, parsley, salt, and black pepper; mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Brush the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch nonstick baking pan with some of the butter. Layer half of the phyllo sheets, 1 sheet at a time, brushing each sheet with butter before adding the next sheet. Evenly spread the meat and vegetable filling over the stack of buttered phyllo sheets. Top the filling with the remaining sheets, brushing each sheet with butter before you add the next sheet. Cut the phyllo on the diagonal into about 13 pieces.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour, or until golden brown.