Greek Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
You can serve the meatballs and sauce over pasta, beans, or a combination of both. Serve with pita and a salad tossed with a lemon and extra virgin olive oil vinaigrette and topped with some feta cheese.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. lean ground lamb
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. minced parsley
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. minced oregano
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14 1⁄2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the meatballs by mixing the ground lamb together with the rice, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, and egg; shape into small meatballs and roll each one in flour.
- Add the tomato juice, diced tomatoes, oil, salt, and pepper to an oven-proof baking dish. Carefully add the meatballs.
- Bake for 90 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through. Sprinkle with feta cheese to serve.