Buckwheat (it is gluten-free!) instead of bread crumbs is used to keep these meatballs flavorful but still maintain a low-glycemic value.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup cooked buckwheat
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix the buckwheat, beef, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, mint, vinegar, eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Using your fingers, roll the mixture into meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the meatballs in the oil in batches. Use a slotted spoon to move the balls in the oil to brown all sides.
- Place the meatballs on a paper towel to drain.
- Transfer meatballs to a baking sheet and bake for 15–20 minutes.