Greek Pork-Stuffed Eggplants
You can do most of this recipe in advance, refrigerate, and then put it in the oven for 10 minutes. This is wonderful over a bed of greens, garnished with plain yogurt and finely chopped tomato.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 small eggplants, 4 to 5 inches in length
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb. lean ground pork
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh tomato
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground coriander
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Fry the whole eggplants for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and when cool enough to handle, make a slit from top to bottom but do not cut through.
- In the same pan over medium heat, sauté onion, garlic, pork, salt, pepper, tomato, and coriander for 10 minutes, or until pork is no longer pink. Keep stirring to blend and break up the pork. Add the lemon juice.
- Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Place the eggplants on a baking sheet that has been covered with aluminum foil. Spread the eggplants open, scoop the seeds out, and fill with pork stuffing.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Serve warm.