Greek Stuffed Peppers
These beautiful stuffed peppers are delicious served hot or cold. The combination of oregano, parsley, mint, and feta cheese evokes the cuisine of Greece.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh mint leaves
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In small saucepan, combine rice and stock; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes until rice is tender. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add raisins, salt, oregano, parsley, mint, lemon juice, and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes to blend flavors.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Stir rice and feta cheese into tomato mixture and remove from heat. Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes.
- Arrange the peppers in a large roasting pan. Fill with the rice mixture. Pour the wine around the peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Combine bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese. Remove peppers from oven, uncover, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese mixture. Return peppers to oven and bake for 10 minutes longer until cheese melts. Serve immediately.