Greek Yogurt Cucumber Sauce
In Greek, this cool, refreshing sauce is known as tzatziki. In America we serve it with stuffed grape leaves and gyro sandwiches.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 12 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground white pepper
- Drain the yogurt in a coffee filter or cheesecloth-lined colander set over a larger bowl overnight in the refrigerator to make it thicker.
- Grate the cucumbers and drain them for about 1 hour. Squeeze the excess water from them with your hands. Put the garlic through a garlic press and then add it to the thickened yogurt along with the cucumbers, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well; cover and refrigerate 4 hours to let the flavors come together.