Green Bean Casserole
This casserole is a standard on many holiday dinner tables, and it’s delicious.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped button or cremini mushrooms
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cans (14.5 oz.) French-style green beans, drained
- 1 can (8 oz.) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 container (2.8 oz.) French-fried onion rings, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 2½-quart baking dish.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine drained green beans and water chestnuts with sauce. Stir in cheese. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with crumbled French-fried onion rings.
- Bake for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.