Green Beans with Coconut (Nariel Wale Hare Beans)
This flavorful dish is made with a common Indian spice called asafetida which is sold at Indian markets and online. Serve with basmati rice or Indian flatbreads.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. black mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- 2 dried red chilies, roughly pounded
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 lb. frozen cut green beans, thawed
- Table salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 Tbsp. minced cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and oil on medium. Add the mustard seeds and the asafetida. When the seeds begin to crackle, add the red chilies and the turmeric powder; then add the green beans and sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and about ½ cup of water. Cover and cook until the beans are almost cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the coconut and cilantro. Simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes. Serve hot.