Green Chili and Coconut Chutney (Hari Mirch Aur Nariel Ke Chutney)
This chutney tastes best when it is made fresh, but refrigerated it will keep for 4 days. Serve as a topping for grilled fish.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 serrano green chilies
- 1” piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. minced cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- Water, as needed
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilies, roughly pounded
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- In a blender, purée the coconut, green chilies, ginger, lemon juice, cilantro, yogurt, and ½ cup of water to a smooth paste. Transfer to a nonreactive container with a lid and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the mustard seeds, red chilies, and curry leaves. In less than 1 minute the mustard seeds will start to sputter. Remove from heat and pour over the coconut chutney.
- Mix well. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.