Green Curry with Beef and Bamboo Shoots
Green curry is one of the spiciest curries. The texture of the bamboo shoots will stand up against the beef in this dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cans (13.5 oz.) coconut milk (be careful not to shake the cans)
- 1⁄4 cup jarred Thai green curry paste
- 1 lb. beef sirloin, sliced 1⁄8 inch thick and cut into 1-by-1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups bamboo shoots
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup whole Thai basil leaves
- Do not shake the coconut milk cans. Scoop the cream off the top of coconut milk, about halfway down. In a large fry pan, bring the cream to a boil over medium heat. Stir in curry paste and turn down the heat to low. Simmer on low heat, without stirring, until fragrant and coconut cream starts to release some oil, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add beef to the mixture and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rest of coconut milk and water and bring it back a boil. Simmer the beef for 30 minutes at low heat.
- Add bamboo shoots and bring back to boil, then let simmer for 3 minutes over low heat. Season with fish sauce and sugar. Remove from heat and add Thai basil.