Green Tea Mooncakes
With green tea (matcha) skin and sweet bean filling, these mooncakes are perfect for your mid-Autumn Festival celebration. You’ll find the flavor is definitely worth the effort!
Serves: 8Prep: 3 hours 15 minutesCook: 1 hour 40 minutesTotal: 4 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Hard
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tsp. golden syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ tsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup red beans, soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup coconut oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with ¼ cup water
- 1 large egg, whisked with 1 Tbsp. water, sieved
- In bowl, sieve together cake flour, bread flour and matcha powder. Make a well and add golden syrup, vegetable oil, egg yolk and peanut butter; stir until incorporated. Knead until dough forms. Add 1 teaspoon golden syrup and ½ teaspoon vegetable oil. Dough should be smooth and wet. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes.
- In saucepan, place red beans and 4 cups water; bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer. Cook until beans are soft and very tender. Strain beans; transfer to blender. Blend beans and 2 cups water until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan.
- In saucepan with blended beans, add sugar and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons coconut oil; continuously stir. Once absorbed, add remaining coconut oil.
- Add cornstarch mixture. Continue stirring over low heat until smooth paste forms, about 30 to 40 minutes. Continue folding mixture; test by using a cookie scoop and shaping mixture into a ball. The mixture is ready when the ball holds firm.
- Let cool until able to handle. Use a scale to portion bean mixture into equal balls, fitting to the size of your mooncake mold.
- Use a scale to portion the dough into equal balls, fitting to the size of your bean mixture balls, roughly half of the bean mixture. On a floured surface, roll dough into a circle, roughly twice the diameter of the bean mixture balls.
- Place bean mixture balls in the dough circles and gently wrap the dough tightly around the filling. Ensure all edges are pinched together and smoothed as much as possible. Cover any remaining dough/filling with plastic wrap while working.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush the inside of the mold with oil. Dust some flour on the mooncake to prevent sticking. Put the mooncake in the mold and press it down lightly. Remove mold and place mooncakes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes, depending on mooncake mold. Keep an eye on mooncakes and bake until edges are lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly, then use a brush to thinly spread the egg wash over each mooncake. Return to oven and bake 5 to 7 minutes, until golden brown. Spray with water.