Grilled Artichoke with Garlic Chili Butter
Family and friends will get fired up over dinner when you make grilled artichokes with garlic chili butter. The red chili flakes and garlic kick up the irresistible flavor of the tender, smoky artichokes when drizzled on top.
- 4 large globe artichokes
- 1 lemon cut in 1/2 width-wise
- 1⁄2 pound butter
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan
- salt and pepper
- To steam artichokes: Snap off tough outer leaves. Using a serrated knife cut off top 1/3 of artichoke. Snip remaining sharp or spiky tips using kitchen scissors. Trim stem so artichoke stands upright. Rub cut surfaces with lemon to prevent discoloration. Repeat with remaining artichokes and lemon. Place a steamer basket in a large pot; add enough water so it reaches just below the basket. Squeeze lemon juice into water and add 1-tablespoon salt; bring to a boil. Place artichokes in steamer basket, stem-side up. Cover pot, and steam until heart is tender when pierced with a tip of a paring knife, and inner leaves pull out easily, 25 to 32 minutes; add more water to pot, if necessary. Remove From basket and let cool at room temperature for 20 min, then in refrigerator until needed. Then remove with a spoon the very inner leaves and the fuzzy choke.
- To grill artichokes: Prepare grill as you normally would, weather it is gas or live charcoal (if using charcoal method, let grill get hot and allow charcoal to cool till coals are white) While grill is getting hot, prepare the butter. In a small pot add butter, garlic, chili flakes, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm on low heat, so butter melts and flavors of garlic etc., infuse into the butter, do not allow to brown. Open the artichokes slightly from top down with hands to for a rose shape. Take artichokes and spray the top portion of them with pam spray (so they don’t stick to grill) Place top side down on grill and cook till hot, and slightly charred.
- To Serve: Remove from grill, place on serving platter, drizzle butter over the top and inside the leaves, sprinkle evenly with parmesan and breadcrumbs and serve.